Sunday, August 2, 2009

The story of Jack's Blankie

As many of your know, I have inherited my mother's appreciation for fine textiles (like 1,ooo thread count sheets). This appreciation for nice fabrics started long ago. Well one night in college I ran into this cute boy who was out with his friends. We kind of knew each other and he came up and gave me a hug. Well he was wearing the softest shirt I have ever felt. I still remember that night. We started dating just a few weeks later, thanks to a few accounting study dates:). Fast forward about 5 years as we were going through our closets getting stuff ready to sell at our garage sale. He had that shirt in his pile to sell. I told him that I was going to keep that shirt and if our baby was a little boy, I was going to make him a blankie out of it.
I kind of forgot about it until this morning. I decided it was about time that I sew something for our little baby Jack. The blanket measures about 25"x25" inches. The main blue panel is the from the back of the shirt. Because the arm holes were cut into this, I added the small triangles of the fun fabric to keep it square. I picked up some great fluffy, soft fabric for the backing and then lined it in brown satin. I hope he likes it.


And for those of you that like to keep up on the expanding tummy, here's a shot from today (about 21.5 weeks). And the coolest thing...you can see my stomach move from the outside now when he's moving!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful blanket... and i LOVE the story behind it. you are so adorable, lindsey! :)

Lindsay - Mama to Preschooler Logan and Twin Babies Cooper and Parker said...

Oh I love it. All of it!